Gone too long; I know.
But I’m back.
Why the absence? Well, there’s this New Year’s Resolution that I made, in all capital letter starters. I promised myself that this year, regardless, writing would come first. Not social media writing or public writing or texts or emails or blog posts (gulp!), but writing for personal discovery. A lot got set aside. I’ve stopped being so much of a maid. I’ve stopped being so much of a cook. I’ve stopped being so much of an audience. I’m writing. If there’s time left over, I read, great cuts of fiction sliced thicker than a shank, but…not every day.
Only the writing happens every day. Only the writing will happen every day. All of the other list happens IF I HAVE TIME, which makes enemies but not in the reflection in the mirror. God, Jo, I have missed you. And I’m discovering so much in each line of ink.
So today I had time, and, in the words of Jamaica Kincaid, provide a list of “what I have been doing lately”:
- Fragmented listening of podcasts of literary and independent journalism;
- Trying out Springsteen’s latest, en reprise;
- Discovering the baseball novel I’m writing instead of inventing it (“there’s a sculpture in this great boulder?”);
- Struggling to find refreshment in a desert (hence, the title);
- Discovering how to move to my next chess square.
Happy 2014…and I hope you are benefitting from your resolve, too. I feel liberated already.